I finished revising and editing the final version of my experimental film (vimeo.com/241172864). I am very inspired by the works of Maya Deren in my filmmaking. My two favorite films of hers are At Land (1944) and Meshes of the Afternoon (1943). I am also inspired by The Tree of Life by Terrence Malick and Mulholland Drive by David Lynch.
I recently finished editing the first version of my project. I really enjoyed experimenting with different effects to make it look older and more grainy. I really like editing experimental films because there is a lot more expressive freedom that I can have as opposed to narrative films where I have to pay intense attention to consistencies.
I shot most of my footage this past weekend. I had a lot of fun shooting and felt like I got a lot of good, usable footage. I have started editing this week which has been fun. I definitely enjoy doing experimental films and editing them is really creatively stimulating. Here are some example shots:
I love the coloring of the first shot; I used my blue gels and put them over the lights in my bathroom to get the soft blue hue. The simplicity of the shot is also really nice. I'm proud of the framing and color scheme of the 2nd shot as well and it was a lot of fun to shoot in Vintage Vinyl.
Writing my script has been a bit of a challenge because my film is more a sequence of patterned shots than a true narrative. I believe it will develop itself further as I shoot it as well. I am hoping to film part of it Friday night.
This project has been tricky. The day we shot it was cold and a bit windy, so I've found in some of the later audio there is a lot of wind sounds from the wind beating against the mic. I don't know what happened to the mic during the second to last clip of the film, but the audio got completely overtaken by background noise (despite not having that extreme of a problem on other clips). The mic picked up on too much car audio in the background of several of the later shots which made it very difficult to edit the audio. The dialogue between the actors is good, but difficult to edit together because we ended up basing a lot of the dialogue off of improv. I like a lot of the shots visually but audio has been a big challenge for me. I don't think it has really fulfilled the vision I had for it, so over the summer I will be rewriting the script and possibly reshooting it. Although the actors I chose are talented, they don't completely fit my vision for the film and if I were to reshoot I would likely recast the characters and choose a different location, one with less traffic. I'm not necessarily satisfied with this project, but I definitely and proud of the other work I have done this semester. I am much better at more abstract films and I am good at create visually beautiful shots. I hope to film a lot over the summer, and I have a lot of good ideas and concepts in the works. I am also excited to be volunteering on a few sets of productions by my father's friend's film production company in St. Louis over the summer.
I shot my final project a few Fridays ago. So far it turned out pretty well. The actors ended up improvising a lot which worked out great. I was initially skeptical of how the sound would turn out in the location I chose (in Forest Park right by the hospitals and major roads), but so far the sound has been clear and good quality.
I shot and am currently editing my PSA on abuse in teens. The shoot was not very hard conceptually but implementing is was challenging because I had to have my sister operate the camera. The shots turned out really well and so far the editing has been fun and easy. It has worked out really well so far. I will probably finish editing today or next class and then I will be able to submit it to the contest.
I thought making the shot list would be easier considering the setting doesn't change at all and my script consists of mostly stationary dialogue. I realized that to make a film that has stationary setting interesting, I will have to make the shots more interesting in order to keep the viewer engaged.
Writing this script has been a challenge for me. I am working on creating realistic and natural dialogue. I am still working on editing and revising the script as I go along, and hopefully when I shoot the dialogue will really help to build the characters.
For my iAm video I went through all of the videos I've taken on vacations and in various places. It was really fun to go through and see everything I've done and kind of sequence it in a way that I felt represented me. I think it was helpful that I have this need to document everything through video, because I felt like it really enhanced my iAm trailer. I did like this project—even though it was kind of easy—it was fun to do.